Our hire cabin is located in the lakeside garden of YHA Ambleside (right next to Waterhead pier) and is the perfect location to explore the northern end of Windermere.
Kayak hire is available between 9:00am - 5:00pm during summer holidays and selected dates. Please phone for more details.
Please book in advance using the links below (up until midnight the day before)
There is a cafe/bar at the YHA offering take away ready to provide you with cake and tea or a beer after a journey on the water.
Kayak Hire Prices
|Single Sit-on-top Kayak||£22||Book Now|
|Double Sit-on-top Kayak||£25||Book Now|
|Stand Up Paddleboard||£20||Book Now|
What Is Included in the Hire:
- Boat, paddle, buoyancy aid & backrest
- A dry bag, if requested
- A brief instruction before hire
Recommendations of What to Bring:
- Clothing and footwear which can get wet (no jeans or denim allowed - you'll just get cold!)
- Hot weather - suncream and a bottle of water
- Cold weather - warm clothing, a change of clothes and extra snacks
- If you own a waterproof jacket and trousers then bring those too
Obviously, being surrounded by mountains and being situated in the UK we have our fair share of bad weather. Every now and again the wind picks up to an unpleasant level and we have to cancel hire for the day. If you are unsure about the weather, please ring us before journeying to avoid disappointment. We are happy allow experienced paddlers out in most conditions – just speak to our staff.
Where to Go
- Essentially you have the freedom of the whole lake – time permitting!
- Our staff will happily point you to the best and most scenic locations
- Many folks will journey up the bottom of the River Brathay, a very slow moving section of the River. This peaceful spot will get you out of the hustle and bustle and into a more tranquil environment, and if your lucky you might even spot one of the local Otters!